How to process a scan
After you’ve taken the scan, you’re ready to upload the scan photos for processing.
Upload and process your scan
Start by signing up for a free trial and then log in to our web app.
Click on Create in the web app, drag and drop the scan photos into the form, and click Upload.
While the photos are uploading, you can give the scan a name and description. These will appear with the Shimmer when you view it later in your gallery.
You can also choose between two Layout modes: Flat and Rumple.
- Rumple mode is for finished objects whose shape you want to capture, like a handbag, jacket, or sculpture.
- Flat mode is designed for tiling or CAD workflows where the material was scanned to be rendered on a different 3D shape. In a flat mode scan, the material should be laid as flat as possible when scanned.
Finally, select your desired output resolution and the chart size you used. For the resolution, we recommend 2K for sharing Shimmer Views on the web and 4K for 3D design.
When you’ve finished checking your settings and the upload is complete, press Process to begin processing your scan. Your new Shimmer View will be available in your gallery within 24 hours. We’ll send you an email when it’s ready for you to view.
Edit your Shimmer View
Open the web app and click on a thumbnail in your gallery to open a Shimmer View.
We aim to create a faithful digital twin of your physical material, but we also give you the freedom to fine tune the appearance for your customers.
We provide the following controls for editing:
- Light intensity - How much light is shining on the surface in the digital render.
- Brightness - The brightness of the picture (0 = low brightness; 0.5 = neutral; 1 = high).
- Contrast - The contrast of the picture (0 = low contrast; 0.5 = neutral; 1 = high).
- Light width - Switch between a sharp point light and a wide area light in the digital render.
- Rotation - Rotate the material by 90 degree jumps, or fine nudges.
- Aspect ratio - Choose the aspect ratio that will be used for the Shimmer View canvas.
- Zoom - Select the minimum and maximum zoom. You can also change the zoom using the mouse wheel over the Shimmer View and then press Save to set the initial zoom.
- Lighting colour - The colour of the light in the digital render.
- Background colour - The colour behind the material if you let users zoom out beyond the edge of the swatch.
- Auto-rotate - Whether the material should rotate on its own, without the user tilting their device or moving their mouse.
- Object mesh - Select the shape for the material: Flat for the material as scanned, or Rumple to add a digital rumple. (This option is only available for scan processed in Flat layout mode.)
You can rename the material by clicking on the name and typing in a new name.
When you’re happy with your changes, click Save. This will update the appearance for any websites that embed this Shimmer View.
Now you’re ready to publish or download your Shimmer View. See the Publish section of our guide for details.